Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

For the past 20 years A Child Called ”It” by Dave Pelzer has captivated many people around the world. It chronicles one of the most severe cases of child abuse in the state of California. It tells the amazing story of how Dave Pelzer was brutally beaten and starved by his unstable and alcoholic mother. A mother who would play tortuous and unpredictable games that left him almost dead. The only way to survive was to beat his mother in the games because his mother no longer considered him her son but a slave, a child that she called “It”. Read to find out how Dave beats his mom with his dreams of the outside world and his willpower to get out!

The follow up books in this series are equally engaging and remarkable. There are three more books that tell about his life. This book is recommended for readers of 14 years of age or mature readers. It has been rated five out of a possible five stars from the customers on the Barnes and Noble web-site. Anne Cohn-Donnelly commented that, “To know the torment of abuse and how the child willed himself to survive, read this compelling, spell-binding account. Jack Canfield stated, “A Child Called “It” was so riveting, neither I nor the staff could put it down! One’s life is forever changed after living through the eyes of A child Called “It”. One of the many disturbing quotes in this book is ,”SMACK! Mother hits me in the face, and I topple to the floor. I know better than to stand there and take the hit. I learned the hard way that she takes that as an act of defiance which means more hits, or worse of all, no food. I regain my posture and and dodge her looks, as she screams in my ear.” This quote and many others in this book are disturbing. I think this says that Dave is saying that he has been hit enough to know what to do when his mother hits him yet again. You don’t hit your kid because his hands were out of the sink for a millisecond. I could tell you how much I despise Dave’s mother but then you wouldn't have to read the book. This book is one of the best autobiographies I have ever read! I am pleading with you to read this book. It will open your eyes and make you question, “this really goes on in families across the U.S!!” You won’t believe what you read.

Recommended by Jenna Willer

No comments:

Post a Comment