Friday, May 11, 2012

Gym Candy by Carl Deuker

I’m going to do my book review on Gym Candy by: Carl Deuker. High School football star Mick Johnson is determined not to follow in his father’s footsteps and make the same mistakes his father made on the field. But after being tackled outside the end zone in a crucial game, Mick decides his current training plan isn’t working. It isn’t long before Mick finds himself purchasing and using “gym candy.” Mick gets the results he’s been looking for, and a lot more he didn’t have in mind, and he soon finds himself trapped. . . Will Mick ever stop using steroids? If so what will happen. This book has not won any awards but I think it will in the future. The recommended reading age is 12 and up. Quotes from famous writers and reviewers are, “Kick of the football season with this riveting title.” Says The Bulletin. “Deuker. . . knows his stuff. . . This is a solid sports tale with a valuable message.” Says KLIATT. A quote I liked from this book is when Mick’s Dad tells him when he is little boy, “There’s no crying in football.” Other books by Carl Deuker are, Payback Time, Heart of A Champion, Night Hoops, and many more. I really liked this book and it kept me on the edge of my seat and I’m sure it will do the same for you. Recommended by Noah Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment