Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Heart of a Champion by Carl Dueker

Hello Classmates. Today I will talk to you about a very interesting book I read titled Heart of a Champion by Carl Dueker. This is a very dramatic intense Sports book that deals with the everyday problems of high school athletes. The recommended reading age for this book is young adult. This book really kept me on the edge of my seat. While I was reading this book the last thing I wanted to hear was Ms. Steffen voice saying, “Alright you can finish the sentence or paragraph you are on and we’ll head to our seats for writing time.”

This book is about a pair of boys named Jimmy Winter and Seth Barham. They both grew up together practicing baseball in the local park. Though both boys had about the same amout of practice time, Jimmy was just born with more talent. Every day they would go out and throw the ball around and have Jimmy’s dad hit a few grounders. When high school comes around both boys really hope to be on the same baseball team together and to play and practice together. When Seth doesn’t make the A-team he is devastated, but he doesn’t stop getting better and better to move up a team. Sadly that isn’t Seth’s only trouble. Their coach has a system for all the players and their behavior. If one boy goes out and does something he should,’t thenn the coach has him sit out a game. If the same kid messes up again then he has to sit out two games. If the kid then does a third thing wrong then they get suspended from the team. Read this book to figure out how each boy does against the pressures and problems they have to deal with.

When I finished this book I was sad because I felt like I had lived Seth’s life and then all of the sudden I was done. This book does a great job of putting you in the scene like you are seeing it firsthand. I would compare this book to Payback Time also by Carl Dueker because both books only talk a little bit about sports and more about everyday life in high school. I think Carl Dueker is an amazing sports author because his books appeal to many different types of audiences and that he is so good at putting you right in the scene with his rich details and stunning word choice.

My favorite qoute from this book is,” People say I look like my father, and I guess I do a little. From old photos I can tell he was tall thin and had brown hair, like me. But his face was broad and fleshy, and mine was all angles and bones.” Publishers Weekly said, “Hit's a home run...action worthy of the sports page.” "A fine edition to sports fiction" -- --School Library Journal(Starred Reviews)

This book has won awards for: An ALA Best Book for Young Adults
An ALA Best Book for Reluctant Readers
A New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age
Pennsylvania Young Reader's Choice Book of the Year

Carl Dueker has also written Gym Candy, High Heat, Runner, and Payback Time.
If you are smart and decide to give this book a try, I guarentee you will fly through its 192 pages filled with action, suspense, and day to day drama.

Recommended by Alex Merten

No comments:

Post a Comment