Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Heartbeat by Loretta Ellsworth

I am going to be doing my book review on In A Heartbeat,
by: Loretta Ellsworth. Amelia lived because Eagan died, but Eagan
isn’t gone completely! This heart-touching novel is about two
different girls. The first girl Eagan, was an amazing ice skater. One
competiton Eagan did a jump, fell and it her head. Eagan’s life was
gone that day.The second girl Amelia, is very sick and needs a heart
transplant. Amelia takes Eagan’s heart, but after Amelia wakes up
she’s developing different feelings about things. For example: she
wants to run more, and she even wants to ice skate. Both things she
didn’t want to do before the heart transplant. Also Eagan is trying to
tell her something, but what could she want to say? Read to find out!
My favorite quote from the book is. “ My eyelids fluttered as I
heard Mom’s voice carry to the backseat. I can’t believe the nerve of
that reporter at the press conference. He asked me if we’d known all
the problems in store for Amelia, would we still have gone through
with the transplant. What did you say dad asked. But it was me who
answered him, In a heartbeat!” I liked this quoted because it shows
how much confidence Amelia had! Publisher weekly says, “Readers will
likely come away teary eyed and inspired to become organ donors
themselves.”
In this book each chapter is someone else speaking. I really enjoy
when books do that. Because whenever you don’t know who’s speaking you
can look back and it tells you who! My favorite character in this book
would have to be Eagan. Because when she got her license she said she
wanted to be a donor when she died. I don’t thing I would ever do
that, not even after reading this book.
The recommended reading age for this book is 12 and up. This book
has not won any awards, although I thing it should have! Loretta
Ellsworth did win an award in another book, In Search Of Mockingbird.
Other books by this author are, In Search Of Mockingbird, The
Shrouding Women.

Recommended by Lisa Schroeder

No comments:

Post a Comment